Funeral services scheduled for Tuesday evening for El Savador resident killed in domestic incident


Claudia Carbajal was on her way to pick up her cousin, Marta Esmerelda Ramirez Carbajal, on the night of November 17 when she heard the devastating news.

Marta, or “Tame” as her friends called her, was the victim of domestic violence after being fatally stabbed by her partner, Karen Abigail Delacruz-Reyes. Riverhead Police intervened at the East Main Street home where they both lived for a disturbance report and found no one was home. The victim was found shortly after at Peconic Bay Medical Center, where she died. Marta was 20 years old.

Family and friends will gather to remember the Salvadoran native during Tuesday night services. Visitations will be from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at St. John Evangelist RC Church in Riverhead and a funeral mass will begin at 8:00 p.m. Her remains will be brought back to El Salvador with her parents, Ms. Carbajal said. McLaughlin Heppner Funeral Home helps the family with funeral services.

Marta moved from El Salvador to the United States in 2017. She lived at the home on East Main Street with Ms Delacruz-Reyes for just under a year, her cousin Elmer Salguero said.

He remembered his cousin as a kind, cheerful and popular person and mentioned that one of his passions was football. She played in the football team called Juventud los Prados which is part of a Calverton-based football league for about three years, Mr Salguero said.

“The truth is that for her age she was a great footballer,” Salguero said in Spanish.

Another football league called Riverhead’s La Liga, or Riverhead Soccer League, held a fundraiser for Marta’s family on Sunday at Stotzky Park in Riverhead.

Six teams participated along with donations from local businesses like Quick Stop Deli and Kind Regards, according to Paul Villafranco, who organized the event and runs the league with his father.

Marta’s family attended the event and all the money raised went straight to them that day, Villafranco said.

It was the second time in as many weeks that the league had hosted a fundraising tournament.

The first was on November 21 for members of the Rivera family who died in a rapidly unfolding house fire just two days before Marta died.

A raffle organized during this tournament divided the profits between the victims of the fire and Marta’s family.

Ms Carbajal said her family and friends will remember the joy Marta gave to those around her.

“We try to remember her that way, with the happiness she had and conveyed immense joy to us,” Ms. Carbajal said in Spanish.

Police charged Ms Delacruz-Reyes with first degree manslaughter for the stabbing. She pleaded not guilty and was remanded in custody without bail during her court appearance in Riverhead Town on November 19. According to a criminal complaint, she stabbed her partner once in the chest and hip, which turned out to be fatal.


Comments are closed.